Recipe by Bergy
Home made focaccia is heaven. Add other toppings like sundried tomatoes, olives what ever but remember everything you add you also add calories!
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I cheated, Bergy, and substituted Barbara's brand instant mashed potatoes and I also used an ABM to prep the dough. However, I would not recommend freezing the bread as I did. No fault of the recipe, but the texture of the bread is altered once it is frozen. Live and learn, right? Focaccia and Rosemary for ever! xoxoxoxo! Thank you!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup of cooked mashed potatoes, cooled
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, apprx
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 tbsp of rosemary and allow to cool to lukewarm- about 20 minutes.
- Strain the water into a cup, discard the rosemary.
- Add honey and stir.
- Put the yeast into a large bowl and pour the lukewarm honey/rosemary water in and let stand until foamy about 10 minutes.
- Stir salt and 1 tbsp of the olive oil into the yeast mixture.
- Add mashed potatoes and enough flour to make a kneadable dough.
- Flour your hands and the work surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until the dough is elastic and looks smooth (use your dough hook in your mixer but you don't get all that wonderful exercise!).
- Spray a bowl with veggie oil and rotate the dough in the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, place in a warm place and allow to double in bulk (I usually put it in the oven with the light on) Takes apprx 45- 60 minutes.
- Punch down and knead for at least an other minute.
- Spray a 17 x 11" baking sheet Or somethong similar and place the dough on it and pat it into an 17 x 11" size, even it out so it is the same depth all over.
- Brush with the 2 tsp of olive oil, sprinkle with the parmesan, onions and the remaining 1 tbsp of rosemary.
- Cover loosely with plastic and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400F and bake the focaccia for apprx 17 minutes or until it is golden and puffed.
- Remove from oven cool slightly on wire rack.
- Cut into 12 pieces and serve.