1/12 Photos of Focaccia Farcita (Filled Italian Hearth Bread)
3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
There's nothing as wonderful as a freshly baked focaccia. Adapted from "Bread" by Treuille and Ferrigno. i even love this plain, without any filling. You can use anything for the filling; iI've included another variation. Generally, any Italian-style ingredients such as roasted peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, fresh herbs (esp basil/oregano) or grilled aubergines, will complement this bread. Just remember that any topping/filling must be cooked in the same time that it takes the bread to bake. Therefore, vegetables need to be chopped/sliced, and partially cooked (roasting/parboiling before they are used. Prep time includes dough rising/proving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 300 ml water
- 500 g bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Filling and Topping
- 1Sprinkle yeast into 200ml of the water in a bowl.
- 2Let sit 5 mins; stir to dissolve.
- 3Mix about 3/4 of the flour with salt together in a large bowl.
- 4Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeasted water and olive oil.
- 5Mix in the flour.
- 6Stir in remaining water to make a sticky dough, using a wooden spoon.
- 7Add the remaining flour, if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, to form a knead-able dough.
- 8Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 9Knead until smooth, silky and elastic, about 10mins.
- 10(you can add more flour if necessary, 1 tablespoon at a time) Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap/tea towel.
- 11Leave to rise until doubled, 1 1/2- 2 hours.
- 12Knock back and divide the dough into 2 equal pieces.
- 13Chafe for 5 minutes.
- 14Chafing: Form each piece into a ball by cupping your hands gently around it.
- 15Apply a light, downwards pressure to the sides, while simultaneously rotating the dough in a steady, clockwise motion.
- 16Continue until the dough forms an even, round shape.
- 17This action is called CHAFING.
- 18Leave to rest 10 minutes.
- 19Roll out each piece of dough into a 9 inch round.
- 20Place one round on an oiled baking sheet.
- 21Arrange the cheeses and basil on top, then seal the filling using the second round.
- 22Cover the dough loosely with a tea towel.
- 23Prove until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 24Using your fingertips, lightly press into the surface of the dough to form dimples about 1/2 inch deep.
- 25Sprinkle with coarse salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 26Top with rosemary sprigs.
- 27Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F/200°C for 30-45mins until golden.
- 28Drizzle immediately with remaining olive oil, and serve warm.
- 29Variation- use 1 lb cherry tomatoes (drizzle with 1 TB olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then bake at 400°F for 20 mins), 5 oz mozzarella and 4 oz rocket (arugula) as filling.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Focaccia Farcita (Filled Italian Hearth Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.2
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 726.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: