Olive, Rosemary and Onion Focaccia
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2 and 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 1/2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped, plus whole rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 lb olive, pitted and cut into slivers (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt (to taste)
- 1In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook stir together the yeast, the sugar, and 1 and 3/4 cups lukewarm water and proof the yeast mixture for 5 minutes, or until it is foamy.
- 2Stir in 4 and 1/2 cups of the flour, the salt, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and knead the dough, scraping down the dough hook occasionally and adding as much of the remaining 1/2 cup flour as necessary to form a soft, slightly sticky dough, for 3 minutes.
- 3Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn it to coat it with the olive oil, and let it rise, covered, in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it is double in bulk.
- 4Knead in the chopped rosemary, press the dough with lightly oiled hands into a well-oiled 15 and 1/2 by 10 and 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan, and let it rise, covered loosely, for 30 minutes. The dough may be made 8 hours in advance and kept covered and chilled.
- 5Dimple the dough with your fingertips, making 1/4-inch-deep indentations, brush it with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and top it with the onion, the olives, the salt, and the whole rosemary leaves.
- 6Bake the focaccia in the bottom third of a preheated 400Â° F. oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it is golden and cooked through.
- 7Transfer the focaccia to a rack, let it cool for 10 minutes, and serve it, cut into squares, warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Focaccia D'oliva, Rosmarino E Cipolla
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 680.8
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2020.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 15.8 g