Recipe by andypandy
Yes another recipe for focaccia, can make the dough by hand or by your bread machine on dough cycle. These rolls are formed then placed in the refrigerator for 16 to 24 hours, with the refrigeration it gives them a lacy texture and a more chewier crust, so that step is important. When I make them I also so thinly slice yellow and red tomatoes on top before baking along with the spice oil, the tomato dries slightly and makes them oh so yummy. Give them a try today for baking up tomorrows lunch.
Top Review by Dotty2
These Focaccia Buns were a real hit. Easy to put together. Great that they can be prepared one day and baked the following day. Next time I will top with tomato or onion. In my keepers file this recipe will go.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (divided)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon basil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (divided)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (divided)
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (approx.) or 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour (approx.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour warm water into a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over top, and let stand until frothy at least ten minutes.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, along with the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon each of the herbs.
- The remaining oil, and herbs get mixed together in a bowl for the final brushing later after formed, but just before going into the oven.
- Add in 3 cups of the flour and make a soft dough. Place onto a floured bread board and knead for 10 to 15 minutes, adding just enough flour as needed only.
- Place in a oiled large bowl, turning to coat, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Set into a draft free warm area and let double about 2 hours.
- Grease baking sheet and set aside.
- After doubled punch down the dough and divide into twelve portions, to make 12 buns. Roll, pinch and form by tucking under.
- Place onto prepared baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator of up to 24 hours. But not less than 12 hours.
- When ready to bake remove and place on counter and let come to room temperature, which will take about an hour or so.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the remaining oil and herbs if you haven't already done so, and brush tops of each roll.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes until golden or tapping bottoms sound hollow.
- I also have sliced red or yellow tomatoes or grape tomatoes and placed on top before baking. Also caramelize a thinly sliced onion and you can also place that on top of each and they become crispy while baking also.
- Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.