1/2 Photos of Focaccia Bread
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a nice focaccia recipe. I don't always put all the toppings on, and often add toppings depending on what I have around and what I'm craving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2-4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- cornmeal, for dusting
- 1In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, proof the yeast by combining it with the warm water and sugar.
- 2Stir gently to dissolve.
- 3Let stand 3 minutes until foam appears.
- 4Turn mixer on low and slowly add the flour to the bowl.
- 5Dissolve salt in 2 tablespoons of water and add it to the mixture.
- 6Pour in 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 7When the dough starts to come together, increase the speed to medium.
- 8Stop the machine periodically to scrape the dough off the hook.
- 9Mix until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary.
- 10Turn the dough out onto a work surface and fold over itself a few times.
- 11Form the dough into a round and place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat the entire ball with oil so it doesn’t form a skin.
- 12Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and let rise over a gas pilot light on the stovetop or other warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- 13Coat a sheet pan with a little olive oil and corn meal.
- 14Once the dough is doubled and domed, turn it out onto the counter.
- 15Roll and stretch the dough out to an oblong shape about 1/2-inch thick.
- 16Lay the flattened dough on the pan and cover with plastic wrap.
- 17Let rest for 15 minutes.
- 18In the meantime, coat a small saute pan with olive oil, add the onion, and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until the onions caramelize.
- 19Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 20Uncover the dough and dimple with your fingertips.
- 21Brush the surface with more olive oil and then add caramelized onions, garlic, olives, cheese, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- 22Bake on the bottom rack for 15 to 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Focaccia Bread
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.9
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 1842.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 7.4 g