Recipe by Loves2Teach
Basic Italian Foccacia. Delicious and simple. Prep time includes rising time.
Top Review by moxie
This is a great recipe with fabulous directions. Even though I had never made focaccia before, the conversational instructions made me feel like I had a friend in the kitchen. I added about 2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary to the dough, and sprinkled more fresh rosemary on top, which really gave it a nice flavor. I did need about 1/3 cup more warm water to get the right consistency, but like you said, no biggie. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 3 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons fast rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus a little for brushing
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water (more or less)
- sea salt (but I wouldn't leave it out) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine the flour, yeast and salt.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir to mix well.
- Add the 3 tbs olive oil.
- While stirring, add the warm water until all of the flour absorbs and a dough forms.
- You may need more or less of the water.
- No biggie.
- Gather dough into a ball and transfer to a floured work surface.
- Knead until soft and elastic, not sticky.
- Probably 10 min or so.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled and warmed bowl, turning several times to coat it with oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place till doubles, around 45-75 minutes.
- Position rack on lower part of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Brush a 10x15 baking pan with olive oil and set aside.
- Punch down dough and transfer to foured surface.
- Knead a few times and let rise for 5 minutes.
- With palms form into a rectangle about 4x8 inches.
- Transfer into pan.
- Stretch and pat the dought to fit pan completely end evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise about 1 inch (30 min or so).
- Using fingertips, make'dimple' indentations in the dough about 2 inches apart.
- Brush surface with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake til golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, cut into squares and serve warm.
- Before baking, you can also add roasted red peppers.
- It's absolutely delicious.