- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- sea salt
- green olives (optional)
- onion, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water with olive oil, 1 teaspoons salt, and sugar.
- Stir in the flour a little at a time; when you can no longer stir, turn the dough onto a floured board and knead till the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and let rise till it has doubled in size, about 30-40 minutes.
- Shape the dough into an oval 1/2 inch thick with a rolling pin.
- Make decorative cuts on the top of the loaf with a sharp knife. Place the loaf on an oiled baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with coarse salt(also sprinkle with optional chopped olives or chopped onions, if desired).Let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Bake loaf for 20-30 minutes, until bread is nicely browned.
- Serve hot from the oven.