Catherine Robson's Note:
Many many years ago my daughter brought home a recipe that was shared at her kindergarten class by a little girl called Brianne for her nanna's biscuits. The note at the bottom of the recipe made it worth keeping all this time & although I have not made this yet I thought that someone may remember them from their childhood. The note reads: "This makes lots & lots of biscuits. My nanna had 5 children during the war and she used it lots so she could feed the children. She never bought biscuits all her life. Nanna always made these for all her grandchildren's birthday parties and they are my favourite biscuits. by Brianne"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup plain flour (spare for rolling dough)
- 1Heat oven to 200c.
- 2Line 2 baking trays with silicone paper.
- 3In a saucepan mix together sugar and milk and bring to a boil.
- 4Shake gently so sugar does not stick to the bottom.
- 5Add baking soda & let it cool.
- 6In a large mixing bowl combine flour & cinnamon.
- 7Rub butter into the flour.
- 8Once it is all rubbed in & there are no big lumps - add the milk mixture and mix well.
- 9Put lots of flour on the surface you are going to roll the mixture on to prevent sticking.
- 10Use about 1/4 of the mixture at a time - roll the dough thinly & use cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- 11Place on lined baking tray & bake until golden.
- 12Allow to cool slightly on tray & use spatula to transfer to a baking rack to cool.
- 13Once they are cool they can be iced and dipped in sprinkles.
- 14To make icing - combine 1 tablespoon of the milk with the butter, food colour & icing sugar - then gradually add enough milk to get the correct consistency.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Foam Biscuits (Cookies) by Brianne's Nanna
Serving Size: 1 (1285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.6
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 13.5 mg
- Sodium 68.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 1.3 g