1/1 Photo of Flying Cup of Beer Cheese Soup
1 hr 15 mins
LisaB (Nashville, TN)'s Note:
(Copycat recipe for Flying Saucer Beer Cheese Soup) I have been a long-time fan of the Flying Saucer Draught Emporium in Nashville, Tennessee. They have a fantastic beer cheese soup on their menu that I order every time I go there. One day, I got brave and asked them for the recipe. To my surprise, they brought me a list of ingredients that are in the soup; however, no measurements. So, I have been trying for years to get the taste just right and I think that I have struck pure gold (cheese, that is).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup red sweet bell peppers or 3/4 whole red sweet bell pepper, sliced julienne
- 1 (32 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 (32 ounce) box low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer (I use Samuel Adams Boston Lager)
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Add butter and peppers to large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté until peppers are tender.
- 2Add flour and half of chicken broth, stir with whisk to remove lumps and cook until thick and bubbly.
- 3Add remaining chicken broth, beer and half-and-half and stir. Add cheese a little at a time and stir constantly, making sure the cheese does not stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. Cook until cheese is melted and smooth.
- 4Add ground cayenne pepper, salt and two dashes of cayenne pepper sauce and stir.
- 5In a separate bowl, mix cold water and corn starch until smooth. Pour the mixture into the soup pot to thicken and add body. Continue to cook until soup is smooth and creamy.
- 6Transfer soup to a crock pot to keep warm until ready to serve. Additional cooking in a crock pot will ensure that the soup is over indirect heat, so the cheese does not burn at the bottom of the pan. Also, it will allow the red peppers to cook and soften into the soup.
- 7Serve soup in a bread bowl or in a bowl with large chucks of white bread on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flying Cup of Beer Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.7
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 92.3 mg
- Sodium 1300.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 16.2 g