Recipe by Bay Laurel
This recipe is from The Flying Biscuit, an awesome little resturant in 2 locations in Atlanta GA. You always have to wait a few minutes to be seated but I would wait days if I had to to eat there. The biscuits and the grits are what makes this place so popular and the atmostphere is euphoric.
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine water, half-and-half, salt and white pepper and bring to a boil. Slowly pour grits into boiling water while whisking the entire time. (Watch out for splattering; mixture is very hot.) Reduce to low heat and continue to whisk often, until thick and completely smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir gently until cheese melts. Whisk again to combine. Turn heat off and allow grits to rest 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until completely smooth, silky and shiny.