Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This frosting reminds me of marshmallows--but not as sweet. It was originally part of another recipe, but I think it would be great on a variety of cakes. Active prep time includes cooking time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In the top of a double boiler, combine sugar, egg whites,corn syrup, cream of tartar, and 1/3 cup water.
- Place over simmering water.
- Beat on high speed with handheld electric mixer until icing forms soft peaks, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat in vanilla.
- Continue beating 5 minutes, or just until stiff peaks form.
- Spread on cooled cake immediately.
- Makes enough to frost a 2-3 layer cake.
This tasted exactly like marshmallow cream. I was going to use it on chocolate cupcakes but changed my mind because it just wasn't what I was looking for. This tasted great, and I'm sure I will use it for something sooner or later. Just isn't the right frosting for cake in my opinion. Thanks Sharlene~W!