Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Add in a little food coloring to the frosting and cake mix to create pastel shades if desired --- if you mix the cake batter by hand with a wooden spoon you will get a lesser amount of cupcakes, an electric mixer adds in more air while mixing you will get about 22-24 cupcakes --- for coconut cupcakes add in 1-2 teaspoons coconut extract (instead of the vanilla and almond extract) into the cake mix and frosting then sprinkle with soft flaked coconut on top of frosting.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix with pudding
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or use clear vanilla)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (can use clear vanilla)
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream, unwhipped (more if neded)
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar (more if needed)
- food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
- For the cupcakes; In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low speed beat all cake ingredients together until blended.
- Increase to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes.
- Divide the batter between the paper-lined muffin tins filling about two-thirds full.
- Bake for about 22-25 minutes or until cupcakes test done.
- Remove to wire racks and cool completely.
- For the frosting; in a large bowl cream the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and whipping cream until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the confectioners sugar and beat until combined and smooth adding in more cream or confectioners sugar to achieve desired spreading consistancy.
- Add in food couling if desired.
- Spread onto cooled cupcakes.
- Srore the cupcakes in the fridge.