Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This pie always turns out very fluffy and light, and holds up great because of the gelatin, a wonderful after dinner dessert, everyone will love this pie. Plan ahead, this pie needs to be refrigerated for 3 or more hours.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham crackers, finely crushed (about 20 squares)
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 (85 g) packagejell-o strawberry gelatin
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice (4 limes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 2 cups strawberries, slightly crushed
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- strawberry, halves (to garnish)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crust: Mix the 1-1/2 cups graham crumbs, melted butter and the sugar together; press the mixture firmly into the bottom and the sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until light brown; cool completely.
- For the topping: Pour the boiling water on the gelatin in a large bowl, stir until all the gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in the lime peel and the lime juice; refrigerate for 1 hour, or until VERY thick but NOT set (watch closely, make sure that the gelatin does not set, as it will not whip correctly).
- Remove from fridge, and beat the gelatin mixture with an electric mixer on high speed for 4 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally, until thick and fluffy; set aside.
- Beat the whipping cream and powdered sugar in a CHILLED large bowl on high speed until stiff.
- Gently stir the whipped cream and the crushed strawberries into the gelatin mixture.
- Pour into the prepared crust.
- Refrigerate for about 3 hours, or until set.
- Garnish with whipped cream and strawberry halves.
- Refrigerate and remaining pie-- DELICIOUS!