Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
I got this out of a Country Cooking Book. It makes a beautiful presentation. Bridal showers and baby showers are perfect occasions, but dinner is a good one too. VERY yummy.
- 3 egg whites
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml crushed saltine
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 946.38 ml fresh strawberries
- 946.36 ml mini marshmallows
- 226.79 g Cool Whip
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar, until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar till stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in crackers and pecans and vanilla.
- Spread on bottom and up sides of a greased 10 inch deep dish pie plate. Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes or till lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Slice the strawberries and mash slightly. Drain juice and reserve 1/2 cup. In a saucepan, combine marshmallows and reserved juice. Cook and stir over medium heat till marshmallows are melted. Refrigerate till cooled and partially set. Remove from fridge and add strawberries and whipped topping to marshmallow mixture. Add a drop of red food coloring if desired. Spoon mixture into meringue shell and smooth top. Refrigerate several hours or overnight to set completely.
- Note: prep time does not include chill time.
This is a wonderful dessert, however, it turns out so much better if the amount of sugar is cut in half (so 1/2 a cup instead of 1 cup). The meringue will be fluffier, easier to work with and have less calories as well! If you use the full cup of sugar, the meringue is sticky/ gooey and doesn't retain peaks. So, it's a 5 with a 1/2 cup of sugar!