Recipe by Susie T
A very nice, light and fluffy cake that everyone will enjoy.
Top Review by Felius
This was easy to make (I used an electric mixer) and cooker perfectly. The only issue I had was that the mixture rose at least an inch above the sides of the tin, luckily still inside the baking paper though! The bottom of the sponge collapsed a bit under its own weight, but the top is delightfully fluffy. I'll definitely make this again, but next time I'll divide the mixture between two tins.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornflour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons passion fruit pulp
- Heat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Grease and line a 23 cm cake tin with baking paper and grease again and add some cornflour and caster sugar to coat bottom and sides of tin.
- Whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until fluffy.
- Add caster sugar gradually until dissolved.
- Add egg yolks one by one.
- Fold in sifted flour and baking powder.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes depending on your oven.
- Test after 35 minutes just in case.
- To make filling, simply whip cream with sugar, cut sponge cake in half and fill with cream.
- Place top layer of cake and spread with passionfruit icing.
- To make icing, sift icing sugar and add passionfruit pulp to desired consistency.
- If too runny put in more icing sugar and vice versa.