Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These tasty fritters are both sweet and savory, and came from a combination of a few recipes I found online. The result was perfect, and I had to share! This recipe is perfect as a side dish for a potluck, or an appetizer at a party. They're great hot, and still delicious at room temperature.
- 1 medium pie pumpkin or 2 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1⁄4 red onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- cooking spray
- Cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the goop (and reserve the seeds to bake later!).
- Roast the pumpkin at 375 F for about an hour.
- Scoop out the cooked pumpkin and mash or puree.
- Add the egg yolks to the mashed pumpkin.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they are foamy and form soft peaks.
- Fold the egg white into the pumpkin, and mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, drop a spoonful of the pumpkin mixture into the pan. One spoonful will create a 2-3 inch fritter. To make your life easier, cook no more than four fritters at once.
- After approximately 2 minutes, flip the fritter.
- After 2 minutes on the second side, set aside.
- Continue with the remaining batter until you're done!