Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Fluffy pecan pancakes are made light and airy with beaten egg whites. Enjoy these pancakes with your favorite syrup. From: Southern U.S. Cuisine
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted if desired
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- vegetable oil
- pecan halves (optional) or fruit (to garnish) (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, soda, and chopped pecans.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and milk, egg yolks, and melted butter. Blend into the dry ingredients just until all ingredients are moistened.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the batter until well incorporated.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet over medium heat (or use a griddle to make more at a time).
- When skillet is hot enough for a drop of water to sizzle, scoop pancake batter onto the skillet in about 1/4-cup portions, spreading slightly.
- When edges are rather dry and bubbles are popping and bottoms are nicely browned, about 2 to 3 minutes, turn over and cook the other side until browned, about 2 minutes longer.
- Serve hot with butter and syrup and garnish with pecan halves or fruit, if desired.
I made these as written, with my first test cakes I thought they were a bit bland so added a little cinnamon. Flavor-wise they were ok but what move them from 3 stars (good) to 2 was the texture. No matter how I adjusted the heat I couldn't get them to cook all the way through - and even then the outsides got over cooked. DH ate them but I couldn't :( <br/>( I frequently make a fluffier type pancake so this was in my skill set) Made for Culinary Quest Southern US for the Cruisin' Culinary Queens
One little adjustment .. I went down to 1/4 teaspoon salt, other than that Wonderful pancakes. Made for a great breakfast, nice, easy, and fluffy. I topped them with some butter pecan syrup that I picked up at the local orchard. Great recipe. Made for Zaar`Stars.
Outstanding and easy to make!