Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
How do you make pancakes nice and fluffy but still really moist? Add mashed potatoes! The orange maple syrup combines the flavours of orange, apricot and maple, to create a sweet, flavourful thin sauce. Do not skip beating the egg whites, as this is what makes the pancakes fluffy.------ Recipe created by me for RSC #9!
Top Review by I Can't Believe It's Healthy
These were delicious! I had some frozen potato cubes in the freezer I wanted to use up, and they were perfect! I didn't make the syrup because I wanted to freeze the leftover pancakes and I wasn't sure that the syrup would last a week. But the pancakes themself had perfect texture and colour, and I owuld definitely make them again without hesitation.
- 2 eggs, yolk and white separated
- 3⁄4 cup white potato, cooked and mashed to form 3/4 cup unflavoured
- mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
Orange Maple Syrup
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 6 dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons pancake syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the MASHED POTATO: peel and dice two medium-small white potatoes.
- Place in a medium saucepan on high heat and add enough water to cover.
- Once potatoes are boiling reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or till potatoes are done.
- Mash potatoes with potato masher and enough milk to make them creamy.
- For the ORANGE MAPLE SYRUP: place chopped apricots, orange zest, orange juice, and pinch cinnamon in a small saucepan, heat on medium heat till boiling.
- Turn off heat, add Splenda, brown sugar, and water and let stand for 15 minutes so apricots can continue to soften.
- In a food processor or blender, blend apricot orange juice mixture till as smooth as you can get it.
- Stir in pancake syrup. Serve warm.
- For the PANCAKES: Separate two eggs, place the yolks in a large bowl and the whites in a medium bowl.
- Beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until white, fluffy and stiff, set aside.
- Add ¾ cup mashed potato to the egg yolks and whisk with a wire whisk till smooth.
- Add milk and vanilla, and whisk till smooth.
- Add flour, cinnamon, brown sugar and baking powder to the wet ingredients, stir until just mixed.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- On a greased or cooking sprayed griddle or pan, cook pancakes using ¼ cup per pancake (batter will be quite thick); cook until bubbles start to appear and flip.