Recipe by AbbaGav
My neighbor Yossi made some potato pancakes and stopped me on the street to try them (true story). I thought they were fluffy and delicious but unfortunately he didn't have an actual recipe to share, just the general idea. So I went home and messed around and this is what I came up with.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 onions
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the unpeeled potatoes for 30-40 minutes, until they are cooked soft all the way in (check with fork if necessary).
- Drain and peel the cooked potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes in a big mixing bowl. They don't need to be perfectly smooth, but should be pretty well mashed.
- Add salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes, checking by taste.
- Add the eggs and matzoh meal to the potatoes and mix. At this point it should be close to the consistency of a batter, ready for making pancakes. If you feel it is still too thick (or if you just want to experiment with richness or taste a bit) you can add a bit of milk or butter here too).
- Preheat oil in a large frying pan.
- When the oil is hot add big spoonfuls of the potato batter. You can flatten them a little with the spoon. Fry until air holes start appearing on the top of the batter (maybe a minute and a half, but you have to check this yourself). Flip and cook the second side until both sides are about evenly cooked.