1/4 Photos of Fluffy Little Clouds - Old Fashioned Dumplings for Stew
French Tart's Note:
This is my Mum's traditional dumpling recipe - and they ARE very light & fluffy, hence the recipe name! I never use beef suet, there is very good vegetable suet available now; if you cannot get hold of suet, put a block of butter in the freezer & grate it into the dumpling mixture - it's the little pieces of fat that give the dumplings their "rise"! These are great with added flavours, such as garlic, herbs, seasoning salt, even chilli if you are making them to go with a spicy stew or soup. Drop them into any stews or soups you are making - they are also wonderful baked in the oven, they are still light but have a crusty top. This recipe can be increased with ease - the quantities listed make 8 individual dumplings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the flour, seasonings, & suet in a large mixing bowl, mix thoroughly.
- 2(If you are adding herbs or extra seasonings, add them now & mix well.).
- 3Add sufficient cold water - bit by bit - to make a pliable dough; it should not be too sticky, but just bound together.
- 4Divide the dumpling mixture into 8 portions, and roll into small balls with floured hands.
- 5Drop them into your soup, casserole or stew 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, making sure that the soup, stew or casserole is very hot.
- 6Put the lid on IMMEDIATELY and do NOT take the lid off until just before the end of the cooking time, about 15-18 minutes to check that they are nearly ready.
- 7They should have doubled in size at least, and be very light & fluffy looking!
- 8Ladle the soup, stew or casserole into warmed soup bowls & serve 2 dumplings per person.
- 9Oven baked: place the dumplings on top of your stew or casserole and cook for about 30 minutes at 200C or 400F, or until well risen, golden brown & crusty.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fluffy Little Clouds - Old Fashioned Dumplings for Stew
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.5
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.1 g