Recipe by chefRD
A gluten free casein free version of Lemon Souffle Pancakes. This recipe is for the pancakes and the custard. You may substitute whichever flour is your favorite. (Rose Water can be purchased at a Persian Market)
Top Review by nyjillk
I haven't made this yet, but I am wondering if you can tell me what rose water is and where I could find it? We have just begun a GFCF diet for my autistic daughter and adhd son and I am desperate for recipes! I love 'zaar and love cooking for my family, but since our dietary change, it seems like a daunting task, so I was excited to see your recipe. Thank you!
- 2 cups custard (recipe below)
- 6 eggs, Separated
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice (fresh preferred)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (freshly grated)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 3⁄4 cup rice starch
- 4 cups non-dairy milk substitute
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1⁄4 cup rose water
Directions See How It's Made
- For Custard:.
- In a saucepan, dissolve rice starch in the milk substitute and then stir in the sugar.
- Cook over medium heat about ten minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture starts thickening.
- Add the vanilla powder and rose water. Stir with a whisk to keep it from clumping up. Cook a few more minutes only till the mixtures starts to look like a pudding consistency. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a bowl and chill for a half an hour.
- For Pancakes:.
- In a bowl beat the egg whites till just start to get stiff.
- In another medium bowl combine the egg yolks, 2 cups of custard, the oil, sugar, salt, lemon juice and zest, baking powder and flour. Beat with mixer till smooth. Fold in egg whites.
- Heat a non-stick griddle over medium high heat and then spray on Baker's joy. You may want to slightly lower heat to just over medium heat so you do not burn your pancakes.
- Scoop out a 1/4 cup of batter onto your griddle for each pancake.
- Pancakes are ready to flip when edges start to look dry and the middle is slightly bubbly. Cook on opposite till slightly tanned.
- Serve with margarine and confectioners sugar, or pancake syrup. Another yummy substitute is Lemon Curd.