Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe differs from the other listed here in that there is no cornmeal or buttermilk, and the egg whites are beaten separately and folded in so that the texture is much lighter. From the Alabama Chapter of the Bell South Pioneers.
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 59.16 ml butter, softened
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 8 inch pie crusts
- Prebake pie shell at 425 F for 7-8 minutes.
- Cream sugar with butter until light.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time.
- Beat in lemon zest and juice.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Lightly fold egg whites into the filling.
- Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 350 F until set and lightly golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
What a lovely pie, it was light, tender, fluffy and oh so flavorful. We enjoyed it very much. The pie was subtley flavored and melted in your mouth. I made tartlets, they were sooo good. I will be making these often, they were quick and easy to make. Thanks for another winner Amanda.
came together very well. tasted like magic on your tongue :) I used a zester for the rind, not the best, definately grate it. I would also watch the oven. My pie was dark and wonderful after 30 mins, but I ended up putting it back for another 10 mins at min heat, because it was too wobbly, . all ovens are different:)