Recipe by PanNan
This frittata is different from most because the egg whites are stiffly beaten before adding the egg yolks, creating a beautiful light and puffy golden edge/crust. Use the vegetables and cheese of your choice. It's based on a recipe in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine. She suggested leeks, grape tomatoes and crumbled goat cheese, but we used onion, garden tomatoes and light cheddar, and it was fabulous.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Can't even remember how long ago I'd saved this recipe to make, forgot about it and found it today and decided to make it for breakfast. Was DH happy I did!! It's so light and fluffy and really looked pretty. I used onions, bacon, fresh tomatoes, spinach and swiss cheese that I sauted in the bacon grease. Then followed the very clear directions, YUM!! It diffently is not the same texture as most frittatas but a lovely change that we very much enjoyed, and a plus is it's fast and easy to put together.
- 14.78 ml olive oil, divided
- 473.18 ml sliced onions or 473.18 ml scallions or 473.18 ml leeks, or combination
- coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 236.59 ml tomatoes (your choice of grape, cherry halved, or regular sliced or chopped)
- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 113.39 g cheese (shredded or crumbled your choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in oven proof non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions/leeks and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute a few minutes, cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cover and cook 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with salt and pepper to stiff peaks.
- Gently whisk in egg yolks.
- Brush skillet with 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add eggs and spread out to cover pan; sprinkle cooked vegetable mixture over the eggs to within one inch of the edge.
- Sprinkle cheese shreds or crumbles on top- if large crumbles press in slightly to be partially submerged.
- Cook over medium heat until sides are dry, 3 minutes.
- Transfer to oven and bake about 20 minutes until center is set.