Recipe by viking
This is an old recipe for a slightly sweet corn bread. It can easily be doubled and baked in a 9x13 pan. We substitute applesauce for the shortening for a healthier treat.
Top Review by lwilliams
My husband and son LOVE cornbread. I've been looking for a good cornbread recipe for a while now...this wasn't too "cake"y but not to coarse either - a good balance, fluffy but still taste like CORNbread. Thank you!
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and sugar together and drop in egg; cream well.
- Silf flour, baking powder, and salt together and mix into corn meal.
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternately with the warm milk.
- Bake in greased 8x8 pan 25 minutes at 375 degrees.