Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Here is a simple and easy to reproduce buttermilk pancake. The secret to great pancakes is not to over mix the batter and to let it stand for about 5 to 10 minutes before cooking. This is an excellent Buttermilk Pancake all on its own but it is great base for all types of pancakes like Blueberries, Bananas, Apples, Strawberry and Nuts, or what ever you like be creative. This recipe uses powdered Saco buttermilk, you could use regular buttermilk but you would halve to adjust the batter texture for the liquid buttermilk. I like using the powdered Saco buttermilk for two reasons, 1. It incorporates easily into the dry ingredients for an evenly buttermilk taste and 2. I do not use buttermilk that much in my cooking and the powdered Saco buttermilk keeps for a long time in the fridge so I only use what I need with out wasting the rest. You can find Saco buttermilk at your local grocery store.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons saco buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 2 eggs
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry, but DO NOT over mix, it's OK for it to be lumpy and have some un-incorporated flour but not to much.
- Let it stand in the bowl while you heat up your griddle/nonstick pan to 350°F.
- lightly oil your griddle/nonstick pan, the oil should show signs of shimmering this is when you know its hot enough to pour the batter.
- Pour the batter on to the griddle/pan enough to create about a 5 to 6 inch circle do not make the center to thick.
- When the batter shows signs of bubbles around the center its about time to flip the pancake and cook the other side.
- Cook both sides to a golden brown and serve with your favorite topping.
Yummy pancakes! Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
This is a great recipe!! I made it as written and totally enjoyed every mouthful! Thanks for sharing a real keeper. Made for PAC 2011.
Mmmm, yummy pancakes! This recipe is wonderful, thanks so much for sharing! Made for Pick-A-Chef Spring 2011.