Everyone loves pancakes. In this recipe, fluffy pancakes combine beautifully with bananas, pecans and caramel sauce, and are served with a delicious ricotta cream. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or after a light meal. Even better, most components can be prepared well ahead of time. The sliced bananas can be stirred through the batter just prior to cooking, or arranged over the top of each individual pancake as it cooks. If serving as a dessert, rum or brandy can be added to the caramel pecan sauce if you wish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Caramel Pecan Sauce
- 6 ounces caramel candies, chopped
- 3/4 cup cream (light, whipping)
- 1/3 cup pecan halves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut, flaked (desiccated)
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
For Ricotta cream
- 1 cup smooth ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2-1 teaspoon orange zest, finely chopped
For Fluffy Banana Pancakes
- 1Caramel Pecan Sauce: In a small non-stick saucepan, melt caramel pieces gently with the cream, stirring occasionally until smooth and blended.
- 2Add pecans and flaked coconut (and rum or brandy if desired), stir to combine with sauce, then remove from heat.
- 3Serve warm over pancakes.
- 4Can be prepared the night before, then heated in the microwave until warm.
- 5Ricotta Cream: Place ricotta cheese, confectioners sugar, orange juice and orange zest in a bowl.
- 6Beat with a whisk until well combined.
- 7Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 8Can be prepared the night before.
- 9Fluffy Banana Pancakes: Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
- 10Place buttermilk in a 2-cup glass-measuring cup and add butter.
- 11Microwave on high for 2 minutes, until butter melts.
- 12Lightly beat yolks, then combine with the buttermilk and butter mixture, whisking to incorporate.
- 13Then add vanilla essence and caster sugar (superfine sugar) and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- 14Add buttermilk mixture to the flour, and whisk together until batter becomes thick and smooth.
- 15Batter can be prepared to this stage, the night before.
- 16Beat egg whites in a clean dry bowl until stiff.
- 17Fold whites carefully into batter until evenly mixed (and the sliced bananas can be added at this stage, too, if you wish - otherwise, see step 20).
- 18Heat a 6-inch diameter fry pan or skillet and brush lightly with melted butter, or spray with vegetable oil.
- 19For each pancake, pour 1/2 to 3/4 cup batter into pan, and swirl around quickly to distribute evenly over bottom of pan.
- 20Cook until bubbles begin to appear on the surface, then lay some banana slices over the top.
- 21When pancakes are lightly browned on the bottom (about two minutes), flip over and cook other side.
- 22When cooked through, transfer pancake to a baking tray and keep warm in a low oven while you cook the rest of the batter (Each pancake should take about two minutes per side).
- 23To serve, drizzle warm caramel pecan sauce over each pancake, and top with a generous dollop or two of ricotta cream.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fluffy Banana Pancakes with Caramel Pecan Sauce and Ricotta Cream
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 813.7
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 208.1 mg
- Sodium 706.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 51.5 g
- Protein 20.3 g