Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from the momma of one of Pop's quartet members back in the 70's. He only sang on one album with them (they're still singing). Recently, he passed away and is sadly missed.
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (suggested ( Crisco)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray and flour a 9x13 pan.
- Cream the shortening, eggs, and vanilla together. Mix in the flour, sugar, banana, and buttermilk; beat until creamy.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Beat the egg whites, salt, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spread on cake and top with banana slices (dip in lemon juice to prevent browning).
libbies recipe had 3/4 t baking soda also , i miss you girl
I have a banana cake my gran used to make recipe.. It called for three eggs not two. so i added three here.. Cake came out just fine. Did the subbing for self rising flour to alpurpose, soda, and salt instead though.. frosting is worth way more then five stars!!! They only let me give five... so Will write ten here.!! Ty for the recipe.
great tasting. Banana cakes are my favorite.