Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a soft, fluffy, light tasting (though nothing light about ingredients and calories) banana cake. I'm always trying to find ways to get rid of our over-ripe bananas. This has been our favorite so far!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk (see directions)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 275°. Grease and flour 9x13 pan.
- Make "buttermilk". It's easiest to make all the buttermilk at once, so 1 3/4 c milk + 1/2 T lemon juice (this is additional juice, not what's in ingredients above). Let set during next steps.
- Cake: In a small bowl, mix mashed bananas with lemon juice, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternating with "buttermilk". Stir in banana mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Move from oven directly to freezer for 30 minutes (I put a dish towel under the pan). This makes the cake very moist. This is optional. It's still good without doing this.
- Frosting: In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth, add buttermilk and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar while beating on low until combined, then on high until frosting is smooth. Spread on cooled cake.
- Optional, garnish with chopped pecans or walnuts.