Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
One blogger's apple crepe filling gone wrong and a wonderful discovery is made. An amazing alternative to the ubiquitous chocolate mousse! The recipe calls for 6 egg yolks but no egg whites. I hate freezing egg whites, they always get lost in my TARDIS of a freezer, so I make a Pavlova with the whites and use the mouse as a filling. Good, huh? Pardon me while I pat myself on the back for my ingenuity....
- To make the mousse:.
- In a double boiler, beat the eggs with the sugar, apple and lemon juice with a wire whisk. You should get a foamy mixture.
- Don't think you can do this in the microwave or on a pot straight over a flame. Trust me, use a double boiler, or in my case, a Pyrex bowl over a pot of simmering water. Okay, double boiler rant over.
- Keep whisking while it cooks, to keep it foamy until it gains volume up, doubles in size and is thick enough to coat a spoon. Chill.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream and when the sauce is cold, gently fold it inches
- To make the caramalized apple:.
- Dice the apple and add it to the sugar and butter in a frying pan, over medium heat. Remove it when it starts to golden.
- Putting it all together:.
- Pour into the serving cups, over fresh diced apple or caramelized apple, if you’ve got a sweet tooth.
- Alternatively, use it (with the caramalized apple) as a wonderful filling for Pavlova.