Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
This was my absolute favorite frosting when I was growing up. It is so light, fluffy and fat-free too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine sugar, water, egg whites, corn syrup, and salt in the top of a double boiler; blend.
- Place over simmering water.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture constantly at high speed for 7 minutes or until the mixture triples in volume and holds firm peaks.
- Remove from heat; beat in vanilla.
- Spread on cooled 2 layer cake.
Delicious! I honey instead of corn syrup and it made a world of difference, the flavour of the honey shined :)
Without a doubt, the most beautiful frosting I've ever made. The consistency is so fluffy it smooths out all my sloppy knife strokes and looks like something out of a magazine! I had to cook/whip mine for about 15 minutes (maybe a few more actually) so it had me worried for a few minutes there. Came out beautifully, though. It's not as sweet as some other recipes, but it has a lovely flavor, and everyone raved about it. Again, it's stunningly beautiful--shiny, satiny finish. Will definitely make again.
I love this frosting! I still had sugar undissolved after it was beat for 10 minutes, this is probably due to the bowl I had this in. Put this on my son's 1st birthday cupcakes and had more than enough. Thanks!