1/1 Photo of Fluffster's Spanish Rice
Here's a simple and tasty version of one of the staples in Mexican cooking. You may use water if you don't have any chicken broth, but please make the effort to use the broth. You may also add some chopped tomato and a sprig or so of cilantro sprinkled on top of the finished rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons lard or 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1/4-1/2 of a large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tomato, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning (to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne (to taste)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1Heat a deep pan over medium heat, then add the oil.
- 2Slowly cook the garlic, onions and rice until the rice begins to brown. Add the tomato, if using.
- 3Add the taco seasoning and cayenne, if using.
- 4Mix together the broth, tomato sauce water.Pour liquids into the hot pan very slowly with the rice, being careful of the steam. Stir to combine.
- 5Reduce heat to low and bring liquids to a simmer. Cover pan,let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and let it sit, covered for 10 more minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fluffster's Spanish Rice
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.7
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.1 mg
- Sodium 850.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 8.3 g