Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
What happens to the Flubber when... it is stretched? it is rolled into a ball and bounced? it is stretched over the opening of the jar? an object (golf ball, etc.) is rolled on it? What else can you do with flubber? ...make it and find out! A Closer Look: Flubber is a polymer made by a chemical reaction. Polymers are very long chains of repeating units. When the two solutions are combined, polyvinyl acetate chains (a polymer from the white glue) are linked together in a 3-dimensional arrangement by borate ions (from the Borax) and other chemical bonds. This produces the thick, sticky polymer called Flubber. (You can get white glue in bulk from a school supplies source. Keep this stuff away from carpet and hair as it will stick. If necessary, white vinegar can act as a solvent.) Thanks to my cyberpal Julie for this recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups very warm water
- 2 cups white glue or 2 cups all purpose washable clear glue
- 3 -5 drops food coloring or 3 -5 drops glitter if using clear glue (optional)
- 1 1⁄3 cups very warm water
- 2 teaspoons borax
- Mixture#1: Mix all ingredients together thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Mixture#2: Mix all ingredients together thoroughly in a bowl.
- Use your hands to mix the contents of the Bowl#2 into the Bowl#1.
- Lift and turn the mixture until it is fully combined.
- Discard any leftover liquid.
- If kept in an airtight container, the Flubber will keep for up to 2 weeks.
This stuff is fun, but borax is toxic (as little as a spoonful can be lethal to a small child or pet) so please be careful using this with children!!!!! See the MSDS on boric acid (which borax converts to in the body) here: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/b3696.htm. 20 Mule Team's MSDS is here (PDF form): http://www2.prosarcorp.com/msds_frame.asp?site_id=196&msds_id=685&lang=en where they say you should use gloves when handling it, don't use it on skin that is not intact (the effect of using it on broken skin is similar to eating it) and warn of effects on unborn children and male reproductive organs if it's accidentally ingested, plus lots more health warnings.
This stuff is great and awesome for 2 . So much fun!
@poette-This makes over 2lbs of Flubber, a child would literally have to eat the entire 2lbs to get even get close to the toxic level It's probably way safer then the levels of toxins they 'allow' in most plastic children's toys and clothing.
Thanks so much. Both of my kids loved it (10 & 3) We used neon food coloring and made one batch bright green and one turquoise. So cute. :)