Recipe by flozzy faulstich
This recipe is a meld of several different sauce recipes that I have tried. People seem to like it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 -8 sweet Italian sausage links
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 4 cups water (approximately two 3/4 full 28 oz puree tomato cans of water)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian allspice
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan or wok heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cook sweet Italian sausage over medium-low heat until done.
- Remove sausage and drain.
- Sauté chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil and sausage drippings until onions are soft and clear.
- Do not brown Open two 28 oz.
- Cans of tomato puree.
- Into EACH CAN put the following ingredients: 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 3/4 teaspoon Italian allspice, 2 heaping teaspoons garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper Pour contents of tomato puree cans into large saucepan.
- Add sautéed onions, garlic and sweet Italian sausage to sauce pan.
- Heat over a medium flame stirring in 19 oz of water, ¼ cup sugar or honey and ½ cup or white wine.
- Add a pinch of crushed red pepper Bring sauce to boil and cook for several minutes stirring constantly.
- Lower heat and simmer sauce for 2 hours, stirring occasionally For a little extra flavor, simmer with meatballs.