Recipe by Kim D.
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar. I hope to give it a try soon and make changes if needed.
- 1 small yellow cake layer
- 1 pint ice cream or 1 pint sherbet
- 8 clay flower pots
- 8 large soda straws
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: Flower pots should be 2 1/2 in. high by 3 in. Diameter.
- Sterilize flower pots by boiling.
- Dry pots.
- Place a piece of plain yellow cake in the bottom of each pot to cover the hole in the bottom.
- Add ice cream or sherbet to pots until three-quarters full.
- In the
- of each pot, force a large ice cream soda straw and cut off even with top of the pot.
- Pile meringue around the inside of the pot, leaving s over the soda straw open.
- Bake at 400 degrees until the meringue turn brown, (about 5 minutes).
- Insert fresh flowers in the soda straw.
- For a holiday look, use holly and red roses or carnations.
- For the Meringue:
- Beat the egg whites until foamy before slowly adding the sugar, beat well after each addition.
- Beat until shiny and stiff, but not dry.
- Fold in vanilla.
- Each flowerpot requires about a third of a cup of meringue