Karen From Colorado's Note:
For those crafty minded cooks. Use store bought pound cake loaf and cookies to create this very cute cake. Flowers are edible too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 (10 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
- 4 cups frosted Cheerios
- 15 leaf-shaped spearmint gumdrops
- 15 wooden skewers (8 inch)
- 3 red fruit roll-ups
- 6 large marshmallows
- yellow sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate frosting
- 1 loaf poundcake
- 12 crisp rectangular cookies (about 3 inches long and 1 or little bigger wide)
- 1To make hyacinths---------------.
- 2Combine butter and mini marshmallows in a sauce pan.
- 3Cook and stir until melted.
- 4Divide into to 2 large bowls.
- 5Stir in 2-3 drops each of red and blue food coloring into one bowl and 1-2 drops of red food coloring into the other bowl.
- 6Add 2 cups of the cereal into each bowl.
- 7Stir until well coated.
- 8Insert 1 gumdrop on nine skewers.
- 9With buttered hands, quickly shape 1/2 cup of the cereal mix into 3 to 4 inch long hyacinth shape around the gumdrop.
- 10Place flowers on a wax paper lined cooking sheet, cover loosely and chill for 4 hours.
- 11For Tulips--------------------.
- 12Cut 6- 2 1/2 inch long pieces of fruit roll up.
- 13Trim one end of each piece into a rounded tulip shaped petal.
- 14Trim 1/4 inch off each corner of the other end.
- 15Lightly brush the end of the large marshmallows with water using a small pastry brush.
- 16Dip dampened end into the yellow sugar.
- 17Lightly brush water on all sides and the bottom of the marshmallow.
- 18Gently press a petal into the sides so the top of the petal is 1/2 inch above the the yellow end.
- 19Repeat 5 times, overlapping the side of each petal about 1/8 of an inch.
- 20Fold bottoms of the petals under the marshmallow, overlapping the ends.
- 21(brush with water if needed to hold the petals together) Insert a skewer through the bottom of the petals and into the center of the marshmallow to create the stem.
- 22Insert a gumdrop leaf onto the other end of the skewer to hold the marshmallow in place.
- 23Too assemble the flower box--------------------.
- 24Frost top and sides of the cake.
- 25Place cookies vertically around the cake to create wood slats to the sides of the"box" Just before serving, insert flowers into the cake, trimming the bottoms of the skewers to varied lengths.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flower Box Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1058 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4041.0
- Calories from Fat 1378
- Total Fat 153.1 g
- Saturated Fat 78.4 g
- Cholesterol 785.0 mg
- Sodium 3070.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 669.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 382.1 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red fruit roll-ups