Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
recipe adapted from Philippe Conticini’s Tentations
- 10 ounces walnuts, halves
- 4 egg whites, whipped
- 2 raw egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter, very soft
- 1⁄4 cup fine unbleached cane sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Using a food processor, chop the walnuts coarsely (medium rather than fine) with the confectioner’s sugar.
- In a bowl, place the soft butter, add the nuts and the raw egg whites, and mix with a whip.
- Beat 4 egg whites and before they are too firm, add the cane sugar and mix. Fold the whites delicately into the previous preparation.
- Place pieces of parchment paper at the bottom of ramekins and grease them. Sprinkle with sugar and fill the ramekins with the batter (the cakes will rise slightly). Level the top of the batter with the blade of a knife and place the molds in the preheated oven at 350 F for 20 minutes. Wait for 5 minutes before unmolding the cakes. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and eat lukewarm.