3 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
The Normans's Note:
We had to find something for our gluten intolerant friends to eat - and found this somewhere. We've also experimented with changing the citrus component with great results. It seems like a long process but it gives an amazing moist result.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scrub the fruit well. Place in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 2 hours, checking every once in a while to make sure the water hasn't boiled off too much.
- 2Drain and when cool enough to handle, cut the fruit in half carefully, and remove all of the seeds (otherwise the cake will be bitter).
- 3Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and flour, or line with baking paper, a 9 ½ or 10-inch spring form pan.
- 4Put the fruit, skin and all, in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and puree. Measure out 1-1/4 cups.
- 5Beat the eggs with the sugar and baking powder at medium-high speed until thick and lemon-coloured. Add the ground almonds and mix well. Mix in the pulped orange at low speed, in two or three additions, beating for 20 seconds after each addition.
- 6Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, until firm and a knife comes out clean. If the top begins to get too brown halfway through, cover loosely with foil.
- 7Options instead of Oranges: 350g cumquats or 3 Meyer lemons or 6 mandarins.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flourless Orange Cake
Serving Size: 1 (911 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2149.0
- Calories from Fat 893
- Total Fat 99.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 1116.0 mg
- Sodium 974.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 265.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.6 g
- Sugars 230.7 g
- Protein 70.3 g