Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Dense, rich flourless cake out of a cooking magazine
- 1 orange (whole)
- 125 g caster sugar
- 200 g dark chocolate, melted
- 100 g ground almonds
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Put the orange in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 250ml water, cover with clingfilm and microwave on high for 20 minutes, turning halfway through (or simmer for 1 hour in a small saucepan).
- Leave to cool, still covered.
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Line a 20cm round springform tin with baking parchment.
- Cut the orange in half and remove pips.
- Put in a food processor with 5 tbsp of orange liquid left in the bowl and blitz to a smooth puree.
- Add the sugar, melted chocolate, egg yolks and baking powder and whiz again to mix thoroughly.
- Tip into a large bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into lined tin.
- Put the tin on a baking sheet, then in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour covering with a piece of foil or baking parchment halfway through to stop the top burning.
- Cool in the tin.
I think it is going to taste great but the recipe has some big mistakes in it. First, there is no mention of adding the almonds. I assumed that they would be folded in with the egg whites in batches to the chocolate mixture. Also, the cooking time is about 35 minutes NOT one hour.