Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These brownies are suitable for people following a low-carb regime. They are not, however, low in fat! Exported from MasterCook, Recipe By : Carol Williams
- 1 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 3⁄4 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 extra large eggs (beaten)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup toasted & chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 5 ounces cream cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cream (35% or heavy) (optional)
- 1 cup whipped cream (35% or heavy - whipped stiff) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease well a large baking pan (9 x 13).
- Over a medium bowl, sift ground almonds 3 times.
- Add Splenda, salt& baking powder- mix well.
- Meantime over double boiler or in microwave, melt butter& chocolate.
- Once melted, remove from heat& quickly whisk in eggs (should be pudding-like consistency).
- Add melted chocolate/butter/eggs mixture to dry ingredients.
- Mix well then add chopped nuts, mix well again.
- Pour into well greased pan& bake for 15-20 minutes (check after 15 minutes- do not over bake).
- While brownies are baking prepare topping: Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature.
- (Using hand mixer) blend in Splenda& add cream.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Mixture can rest in fridge while brownies cool then either shmear onto cut brownies, or pipe rosettes.
- These brownies also freeze well (even with topping).
- For those than can afford additional carbs, drizzle a small amount of chocolate sauce on top of the rosette& scatter a few fresh raspberries on the plate.
- 48 Bite Size Brownies@ 2.
- 5 minus 0.
- 7 gr.
- fiber= 1.
- 8 carbs each or 24 good sized Brownies@ 3.
- 6 carbs each.
Personally I couldn't, in all honesty, relish the taste of these brownies. Splenda in soft drinks..delicious! Splenda in the brownies has an unpleasant aftertaste...ugh! I'll opt to "do without". PatZ (Low Carb Lifestyler)
I just made this recipe! All I can say is gross! Im trying to do low carb foods and I crave chocolate so Im trying to find recipes that are chocolaty. This one can honestly make me dislike chocolate when its all done. For now, I think I will stick with Atkins chocolate bars, they are the closest thing to eating chocolate. I would suggest anyone waste their time, energy, and money to make this.
I had high hopes for these brownies, however; I think they missed the mark. I found these to be dry and crumbly. The flavor was all-right now however; the texture...wasn't pleasant. Instead of using unsweetened chocolate I replaced it with 4 TBS butter and 12TBS unsweetened cocoa powder (3 TBSP of cocoa and 1 TBSP of butter per ounce of chocolate). Even with the additional moisture from the butter...it didn't improve the moisture/texture. I won't be making these again.