Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Middle Eastern flavors, delicious and not too sweet.
- 1 1⁄3 cups blanched slivered almonds
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 5 teaspoons packed lemon zest, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F and butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan with high sides, line bottom with parchment paper.
- Finely grind almonds with 2 tablespoons of sugar in food processor.
- Mix yolks, 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a bowl until thick and smooth.
- Add almond mixture, stir.
- Separately (with clean bowl and beaters) beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually add 4 tablespoons sugar, beating until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold half of egg whites gently into almond mixture, then add other half and finish folding in gently.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on rack, turn out onto serving platter.
What a lovely cake. I followed the recipe, except for using almond meal instead of the slivered almonds & 2tbsp sugar. Cooked for 25 mins & the result was perfect. Served with a dollop of cream for a great gluten free dessert. Thanks for sharing.
This is a fabulous recipe. I made this recipe x4. It is a very light cake and the flavor is wonderful. I baked it at 325 with industrial ovens on a low fan and it came out perfect.
very good recipe! this was my first experiment in making non-chocolate flourless cake and being a huge almond fan helps greatly. i added 1 tsp of vanilla and almond extract and substituted orange zest for lemon, though - i made this for someone whos not crazy about lemons. then as a topping, i boiled down a bag of frozen berries with a bit of sugar and poured it on top while the cake was still warm (after poking holes in the top) - the result was very old fashioned and homey delicious. i would like try it without a topping as well, maybe adding some rose water to the mix for a totally different taste. thanks for the recipe! :)