Recipe by Perfect Pixie
I am intollerant to wheat so make this cake a lot!!!
Top Review by catxx
This is fabulous! Rich, and incredibly chocolatey, but so simple to make. I made it at my mother's request for her 60th birthday last weekend, and it was a hit. One major change I made (due to non-availability of hazelnut meal) was to substitute the hazelnut with 1/2 almond meal and 1/2 coconut flour....which worked beautifully, and I will do again. This is definitely a "Keeper".
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- 150 g dark chocolate, melted
- 150 g butter, melted
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to moderate.
- grease a deep 19cm square cake pan, line base and sides with baking paper.
- blend cocoa with the hot water in large bowl until smooth.
- stir in chocolate, butter, sugar, hazelnut meal and egg yolks.
- beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- fold into chocolate mixture in two batches.
- pour mixture into prepared pan.
- bake in oven about 1 hour or until firm.
- stand cake 15 minutes.
- turn onto wire rack, top side up, to cool.
- dust with sifted, extra, cocoa to serve.