Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have so missed fried okra since I've been gluten-free, but I could never get the corn meal to stick to the okra while I was cooking it. Tonight...SUCCESS!! I'm posting it here while I can still remember what I did.
- 1 cup vegetable oil, may take even more (do not use olive oil, it can't stand high heat)
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups gluten-free cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (for color and a little added flavor)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (sort of a binder)
- 1 quart whole okra, stem ends removed
- Heat canola oil or high-heat tolerant vegetable oil (not olive oil) in a large skillet until the end of a wooden spoon sizzles and bubbles when you place it in the soil. Oil should be about a half inch deep in the skillet.
- While the oil is heating, combine the rice flour, cornmeal, yeast, sea salt, and xanthan gum in a plate. Stir with a fork until well mixed.
- Place the okra in a single layer on top of the dry mixture.
- Mash it gently with a fork to flatten it and coat both sides with the mix.
- Heat the okra pieces in a single layer in the oil, watching closely and turning when they are brown and almost crisp.
- As the pieces are done, place them on a paper towel lined platter to drain.
- Watch out! You'll eat them all before supper if you're not careful!