Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From a cookbook I'm working with, I'm posting this here to try later. Sounds fantastic, and probably a great Passover dish for households that keep kosher.
- 12 eggs, separated
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 lb ground almonds or 1 lb almond meal
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- Beat the egg whites with 11/2 cups of the sugar with an electric mixer set at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold in the almonds. Spread the mixture into a grease 9x13-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until set.
- Melt the chocolate with the coffee crystals. Let cool.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and thick. Beat in margarine. Add the chocolate mixture and mix well. Spread over hot baked layer and bake for 15 to 18 minutes longer. Cool completely. Cut into 2-inch squares.