1 hr 40 mins
One of my friend's has celiac disease and cannot eat anything with gluten. Unfortunately for her, this usually means she cannot enjoy a lot of foods, particularly desserts, at gatherings. I made this cake with her in mind for our holiday party. It is rather time-consuming but definately worth it! The cake was rich and decadent and my friends really enjoyed it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups whole almonds (about 6-7 oz.)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated orange peel
- 6 large eggs, seperated
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 1 tsp extract)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush bottom of 10-inch springform pan generously with butter or margarine.
- 2Blend almonds and 1/4 cup sugar in food processor until almonds are finely ground. Add chocolate; blend until chocolate is finely ground.
- 3Whisk cocoa, orange juice and orange peel in small bowl until smooth.
- 4In another bowl, combine egg yolks and 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs. sugar. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean.
- 5Using an electric mixer, beat until yolk mixture is very thick, about 4 minutes.
- 6Beat in cocoa mixture. Fold in ground-almond mixture.
- 7Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites and salt in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 Tbs. sugar, beating until whites are stiff but not dry.
- 8Fold whites into chocolate batter in 3 additions. Transfer to prepared pan.
- 9Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- 10Cool cake completely in pan on rack. If making a day ahead of time, cover with foil and store at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flourless Chocolate-Orange Almond Cake
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.4
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 79.3 mg
- Sodium 63.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: