1/1 Photo of Flourless Chocolate Oh-So-Good Molten Cake
Izzy Knight's Note:
I am a terrible baker, but this dessert is one of the few dishes that I did NOT blow! It turned out so wonderful that we ended up eating the dessert first that night. This is a wonderful dessert for those gluten intolerent. And if I can make this cake, anybody can :P. *The recipe is right out of The Vancouver Province.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Have all ingredients at room temperature before you start.
- 2Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- 3Prepare muffin tins-- butter them generously, then sprinkle with sugar, tapping the tins on the counter to distribute it evenly.
- 4Using a double boiler or microwave, melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring to encourage it.
- 5Remove from heat and sift in the cocoa, stirring with a fork or small whisk until smooth.
- 6Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- 7Gradually add sugar, beating on high speed until stiff but not dry.
- 8Use a rubber spatula to fold some of the whites into the chocolate mixture, just to lighten it.
- 9Fold in remaining whites.
- 10Spoon into prepared muffin tins.
- 11(If you aren't baking them for immediate consumption, they may be refrigerated at this point.) Bake until the tops of the cakes are slightly cracked but the centre is still gooey.
- 12This will take 7 to 8 minutes; count on an extra minute or so if the batter was refrigerated.
- 13Remove from oven and let them sit for a few minutes-- the cakelets will shrink slightly from the sides and fall a little.
- 14Place a cake rack over the pan and invert.
- 15The cakes will fall out.
- 16Serve them warm, with icing sugar sifted over the surface, a touch of whipped cream on the side if you like, and a couple of fresh raspberries or strawberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flourless Chocolate Oh-So-Good Molten Cake
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.1
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 45.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 6.9 g