Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I'll never make chocolate cake with flour again. This was moist, rich and delish. The almond meal makes it more healthy even if you don't need to go flourless. This is based on BH&G recipe.
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (1 cup)
- 5⁄8 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups superfine sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F, line bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper and butter or spray sides of pan.
- Melt chocolate and butter together either in double boiler or in microwave 30 seconds at a time until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until triple in volume, pale and mousselike.
- Mix almond meal with cocoa powder. Gently fold into egg mixture. Follow with chocolate mixture, then lime zest and juice.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 40-45 minutes. Will be just firm on top but have a bit of wobble underneath.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack. When slightly cool, drape a clean kitchen towel over cake to stop from getting too crusty (some cracking/cratering is to be expected).
- When completely cool, loosen edges from pan, release springform edge, remove. Dust with confectioner's sugar if desired.