Recipe by mosma
Perfect for Valentines Day, or just a romantic dinner with your sweetie! This recipe came from the Rockland County Magazine.
Top Review by mliss29
This is a dark chocolate dream! It was like fancy-restaurant dessert good. I was a little worried when the 2 cakes each came out only 1 centimeter tall, but then I went back to the recipe and saw "serves 4". Though I'd say more like "serves 8". Next time (and there will be a next time), I'll make 50% more cake and make 3 layers (I think there's plenty of mousse for 3 layers) and figure out how to make chocolate curls for the top. I think that would take this sophisticated cake and make it elegant. This cake was awesome and, except for the whipping cream, I made it with ingredients from Aldi!
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Butter two 8-inch heart shaped pans. Coat the pans with cocoa powder.
- Separate the eggs into two bowls.
- Add sugar to the bowl with the yolks and beat well.
- Sift in the cocoa powder. Beat together. Add enough milk to get it smooth but not runny.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Take a small quantity and stir into the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in the rest.
- Pour into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake 20-30 minutes. Let cool.
- In a saucepan, boil 1/2 cup and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Remove from the stove and add the chocolate. Stir well.
- Whip in the rest of the cream into soft peaks then fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Put the mousse between the two stacked flourless chocolate heart cakes and on the top.
- Keep refrigerated.