Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit Magazine, January 2008.
- 12 ounces 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Frangelico or 1⁄2 cup other hazelnut-flavored liqueur, divided
- 1 cup finely ground hazelnuts (ground in processor, about 5 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F
- Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan.
- Line bottom of pan with parchment paper round.
- Wrap outside of pan tightly with 3 layers of heavy-duty foil.
- Combine chocolate and butter in medium metal bowl; set bowl over saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk until mixture is melted and smooth.
- Remove bowl from over water.
- Whisk eggs, golden brown sugar, and 1/4 cup Frangelico in large bowl to blend.
- Add chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in ground hazelnuts and 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Place springform pan in large roasting pan.
- Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of springform pan.
- Place in oven and tent springform pan loosely with foil.
- Bake until cake is set in center and top is dry to touch, about 1 1/2 hours (top of cake will remain shiny).
- Remove cake from roasting pan; remove foil from top and outside of pan.
- Cool cake in pan on rack.
- ***Chill cake until cold, about 3 hours.
- (DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead.
- Cover and keep chilled.).
- Using electric mixer, beat whipping cream and remaining 1/4 cup Frangelico in medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake.
- Release pan sides.
- Cut cake into wedges.
- Transfer to plates.
- Top with whipped cream; sprinkle with chopped toasted hazelnuts.
- ***Cook time does not include chill time.