Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter 9” springform pan and line it with buttered parchment paper.
- Wrap outside of the pan with aluminum foil.
- Stir chocolate and butter in heavy sauce pan over low heat until smooth.
- Remove and cool to lukewarm, stirring often.
- Beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in large bowl for about 3 minutes, until thick and pale.
- Folk warm chocolate into the yoke mixture.
- Folk in vanilla.
- With clean, dry beaters, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, and beat until firm peaks form. Don't overbeat.
- Fold whites into chocolate mixture in three portions.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake until cracked and tester shows moist crumbs – about 50 minutes.
- The cake will fall as it cools.
- Press down top for even thickness.
- Use knife to cut around sides to loosen. Remove pan sides.
- Turn upside down on plate (or other) and remove paper.
- For the glaze, simmer cream and syrup together in a heavy sauce pan.
- Remove from yeat.
- Add chopped chocolate.
- Whisk until melted and smooth.
- Place cake on rack set over baking sheet. Spread ½ cup of glaze over top and sides. Freeze about 3 minutes until the glaze is almost set.
- Pour remaining glaze over the top and allow to drip artfully down the sides.
- Refrigerate until firm - about 1 hour.