Recipe by Galley Wench
Posted for the French recipes -- ZWT 2006. I believe the original recipe came from Gourmet Magazine. Worth every minute of the time it takes to prepare.
To Make Cake
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweented chocolate) or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweented chocolate)
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
- 6 large eggs (separated)
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To Make Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened chocolate) or 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (not unsweetened chocolate)
- chocolate shavings (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 9 inch diameter springform pan.
- Line bottom with parchment, wax or butter paper.
- Wrap outside of pan with foil.
- Stir chocolate and butter in heave medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool to lukewarm, stirring often.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in large bowl until mixture is very thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
- Fold lukewarm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture, then fold in vanilla extract.
- Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until medium-firm peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture in three additions.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until top is puffed and cracked and tester inserted into the center comes out with some moist crumbs attached -- about 50 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack.
- Do not worry, the cake WILL fall.
- Once cooled, gently press down crusty top to make evenly thick cake.
- Using small knife, cut around pan sides to loosen cake.
- Remove pan sides.
- Place 9 inch-diameter dish, tart pan bottom or cardboard on the top of the cake.
- Invert cake and peel off parchment paper.
- For Glaze:.
- Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Place cake on rack set over baking sheet.
- Spread 1/2 cup glaze smoothly over top and sides of cake.
- Place cake in freezer for approximately 3 minutes until glaze is almost set.
- Pour remaining glaze over cake.
- Place on plater and chill until glaze is firm, about 1 hour.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.
- Serve at room temperature.